Gap of Dunloe


Gap of Dunloe

In a previous post about absorption of oil painting surfaces I was ranting on about the oil/acrylic painting surfaces which were available in blocks or sheets. Most of these were too absorbent for oil painting but OK for acrylics. At the time I did various experiments to reduce the soakage into the surface of the medium which left the paint dull and lifeless and lighter in colour even before the painting was completed.

This painting was a test using a canvas textured paper which I sealed with PVA. Although the texture was good, the surface was ‘slippery’ lacking the ‘bite’ you find on linen canvas. ‘Bite’ is when the paint is dragged off the brush and makes oil painting a lot easier. This was a difficult painting to get right because of lack of ‘bite’. The paint had to be flooded onto the surface and lacked the interesting texture you get from brush strokes. I added texture using fine pointed brushes similar to a watercolour  technique.

When all the paint has dried I might add a few more touches, but I can’t say at this stage what these would be. I videoed the whole torturous event and will post in the near future. The painting was completed to this stage in about one and a half hours but would have been a lot quicker if the surface was more agreeable.

P.S. The Gap of Dunloe is a famous scenic spot in Co. Kerry, Ireland. I was there a few years ago and have several photos which I used as reference.


3 thoughts on “Gap of Dunloe

  1. Pingback: Gap of Dunloe, time lapse video « PictureS

  2. So lovely!! Your site is amazing.

    I’m trying to teach myself how to paint with acrylics (on canvas and on paper) but it’s slow-going…LOL

    And…thank you for liking one of my posts!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s